Monday, January 11, 2010

Bankimchandra

Not a very popular writer, if we count by the number of people who read his works and will admit anonymously that they love his work (people often call him their favourite in fear of being looked down upon).

 

I have picked up some odd writers because of my mother, who was an avid reader and had a uncommon taste. Bankimchandra is one of them. She just loved his works and so do I.

 

He was more like shakespeare, picking up the most exquisite words and painting a picture out of them. He was truly the emperor of classic bengali language.

 

I often feel awe struck, how could he use such exquisite word yet create fantastic novels and immemorable characters. Characters so real, like kundanandini or kapalkundala. Bhramar, Indira or Suryamukhi. Kapalkundala is my favourite character in fiction world.

 

The immense strength of character which this lady had I have never seen another lady with such strength of character. She embodied truth and honesty. Her fearless honesty is awe inspiring for any woman.

 

Just like I will never forget anandamath, durgeshnandini or bishabriksha… such fantastic usage of language yet such immemorable characters.

3 comments:

  1. A writer that I have not come across in my time I must say. The way you describe this Author is motivating me to get a copy of his/her piece of work.

    Nice Post by the way, it truly lives up to its name 'thoughts' it is very genuine and 'thought' like.

    I hope all is well with you & I look forward to reader future posts.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear michael,
    thanks. he is a bengali writer, and his expertise over bengali is awesome. he is called the emperor of literature in bengal and deserves that throne.
    thanks for the compliment.
    wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried to put a comment on your blog but could not, have you turned off the comment option?

    ReplyDelete